Toussaint L. Myricks is an experienced patent attorney and intellectual property strategist. His practice focuses on intellectual property protection, valuation, patent portfolio management, and intellectual property commercialization strategies. Toussaint joined the firm in the winter of 2022.
Toussaint spent the first several years of his legal career practicing at prestigious law firms in the Seattle area including Preston, Gates & Ellis and Christensen, O’Connor, Johnson & Kindness. In 2003, he joined Vulcan, Inc., the investment firm founded by Microsoft co-founder Paul G. Allen, as its first patent counsel where he established and managed the company’s intellectual property strategy and programs. Later, Toussaint joined an early innovator in the patent analytics field called PatentCafe as its patent counsel where his efforts helped the company protect and leverage its intellectual property rights in a suite of software tools and technologies for evaluating patent portfolios. This company was ultimately acquired by a foreign investor due to its novel technologies, systems and intellectual property portfolio.
Toussaint formed his own firm with PatentCafe as its first client and steadfastly grew his firm with clients ranging from technology innovators, media personalities, university researchers and developers of computer hardware and software systems, communications systems, and internet applications. His firm has also served as patent co-counsel to business law firms seeking to assist their clients with complex patent procurement, valuation and litigation related matters.
When Toussaint reflects on his career, he’s especially proud of the success he’s been able to help his clients achieve through successful patenting. He specifically recalls helping a client with a patent for a truly novel invention where the independent inventor was able to then sell for seven figures, which he used to pay off his son’s four-year private high school tuition and to enjoy an early retirement—truly the goal outcome for any dedicated Patent Attorney.
Toussaint lives in the greater Seattle area with his family. Together they enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, and traveling the world to far off distant lands to experience and develop a personal appreciation for unique cultures, languages, and cuisines.
Practice Areas & Services:
- Patent Procurement
- IP Licensing
- IP Portfolio Management
- Patent portfolio acquisitions and divestitures
- IP valuation
- Drafting and negotiating of software license agreements
- Drafting and review of Joint venture agreements
- Drafting of technology-related co-development agreements
- Drafting and review of manufacturing agreements
- Computer software systems and applications
- Computer networks
- Multiprocessor computing systems
Admissions & Certifications:
- Washington State
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Patent Agent - Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- SB - Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, M.I.T
- MS - Electrical Engineering, University of Washington
- JD & MIP - Intellectual Property, Franklin Pierce Law Center