Partner | Privacy & Testing Practice Lead
Alan Thiemann brings to the firm 45 years of government service, as well as in-house trade association and private practice experience. As manager of the firm’s privacy/cybersecurity practice, he actively monitors rapid developments in privacy and security laws and regulations on the state and federal level, as well as internationally.
Alan’s practice centers on complex international licensing transactions, copyright (including the specialty of secure tests) and trademark filings, and a host of regulatory and legislative matters involving education, tax, employment, technology, and intellectual property matters. His clients include non-profit organizations, business organizations, and individuals (e.g., test authors).
Alan actively counsels clients on US and international standards development issues (e.g., financial services, including payments, privacy, assessment). In addition to serving as counsel to Conexxus (a retail technology standards development organization representing the convenience & petroleum industry), he represents the industry on American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and ISO standards work.
Alan is also active in development of a US National standard for protection of financial and non-financial data, breach notification, and privacy. He is a frequent speaker on privacy/security issues and authored/edited various privacy publications. These include a checklist on the US-EU Privacy Shield self-certification program (now invalidated), compliance information on the EU General Data Protection Regulation, the European Data Protection Board’s Guidance on the use of Video Surveillance, the California Consumer Privacy Act, and proposed privacy legislation at the federal and state levels.
Alan also serves as General Counsel to the Association of Test Publishers (an international organization representing developers/marketers of tests/assessments and testing services used in employment, clinical diagnostics, education, professional certification/licensure, and workforce credentialing). He previously was ATP’s Legislative Counsel and currently takes part in ISO standards work for the testing industry. Alan is a registered lobbyist before the US Congress on privacy, testing, education, and employment legislation.
Alan’s deep breadth of experience further bolsters the firm’s Privacy and Testing practice areas and extends Han Santos’s services and support to our DC clients and beyond.
Practice Areas & Services:
- Data Security / Privacy
- IP strategies / Applications (Copyrights, Trademarks)
- International licensing of IP
- Regulatory / transactional issues affecting the use of assessments
- Retail and Information technology / emerging technology issues
- Payments (credit, debit, EBT/ACH, stored value, mobile, ATM, e-commerce, transaction processing, loyalty)
- Standards Development (proprietary, US, ISO)
- Non-profit organizations
Admissions & Certifications:
- Bars of the District of Columbia and Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Various U.S. Court of Appeals (Second, Third, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuits)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- B.S., Political Science, Denison University (minors in Biology and Chemistry)