Between government service, in-house trade association experience, and private practice, Mr. Thiemann has represented clients before more than a dozen federal departments and agencies, as well as internationally. He has broad trial and appellate litigation experience in federal and state courts and he has lobbied Congress and state legislatures on privacy, testing, tax, education, employment/labor relations, environmental, and transportation legislation.
Mr. Thiemann has represented the assessment industry for more than 30 years, serving as first Legislative Counsel and now General Counsel of the Association of Test Publishers, an international trade organization, and for numerous testing organization and test authors. During this time, Mr. Thiemann has handled international licensing transactions, copyright and trademark filings, and a host of regulatory/legislative matters. He provides advice on industry data security/privacy issues, including authoring a checklist on US/EU Privacy Shield, and compliance information on the EU General Data Protection Regulation and the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Mr. Thiemann has been General Counsel to the convenience/petroleum industry’s standards development organization for more than 20 years. In that capacity he has been involved in developing ANSI and ISO standards affecting retail merchants. Additionally, his practice includes antitrust matters impacting retail payments, standards affecting retail payment technology and operations, and representing organizations/businesses on various payment issues, including analyzing patent claims and patent infringement litigation. He provides guidance on legal/regulatory issues ranging from loyalty programs to card processing agreements to online payments to security/privacy issues, including biometrics and facial recognition technologies.
- Data Security/Privacy
- IP strategies/Applications (Copyrights, Trademarks)
- International licensing of IP
- Regulatory/transactional issues affecting the use of assessments
- Retail and Information technology/emerging technology issues
- Payments (credit, debit, EBT/ACH, stored value, mobile, ATM, e-commerce, transaction processing, loyalty)
- Standards Development (proprietary, US, ISO)
- Non-profit organizations
- Bars of the District of Columbia and Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Various U.S. Court of Appeals (Second, Third, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuits)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- J.D. – University of Texas School of Law
- B.S. Political Science – Denison University (minors in Biology and Chemistry)